HOME HOME HOME WEBSITE FACEBOOK PINTEREST MY WORK Tips & Tricks INSPIRATION CONTACT

Glasgow

Scotland is beautiful, and has so far, been the oldest place I have ever stepped foot on. I am 7 days into my adventures and I can both proudly and ashamedly admit how much I've been drinking. Did you know that they sell liquor drinks by the pitcher? Sign me up! Scotland has also been the first place in years.. Maybe ever where I have worn a coat, a scarf, PANTS, and closed toed Sneakers at the same time. Such a feat has never Occurred and many of my friends would not recognize me if I was standing right next to them. If 12/21/12 hadn't already happened, this would surely be a signal of the apocalypse.

When we arrived in Glasgow, we checked into our room and headed out to explore the nightlife. Oddly enough, we found ourselves in a Irish Bar where the live band was playing Scottish versions of Johnny Cash and Willy Nelson. The locals were enthralled with the Gaelic versions of our dearest American Country Songs. Irony at its best.

Also, this bar had the strongest drinks I have ever had (minus my own concoctions). Instead of a 2 drink minimum for some giggles, I was literally one and done. I managed to get through another double rum and coke before I knew trouble was about to start. So Lauren and I hightailed it out of there for some drunk munches and found ourselves at the apparent worldwide 24 hour standby... McDonalds. It really does taste the same everywhere you go. Bravo McDs for consistency.

The next day we did a city tour, and tried our best to be sheltered from the freezing rain. We scooted by The University of Glasgow; which the fourth-oldest university in the English-speaking world and founded in 1451.

Next, the Glasgow Cathedral. The dark, imposing interior conjures up medieval might and can send a shiver down the spine. It's a shining example of Gothic architecture, and the only mainland Scottish cathedral to have survived the Reformation. Most of the current building dates from the 15th century.

Behind the cathedral, the necropolis stretches picturesquely up and over a green hill. Its elaborate Victorian tombs of the city's wealthy industrialists make for an intriguing stroll, great views and a vague Gothic thrill.


The city is very similar to Atlanta, in the way that they have repurposed old buildings and left only the tops of the original structure before turning it into a modern business. It makes me sad that more of the city wasn't accessible and visually arresting like Edinburgh. The weather probably had a lot to do with it, 33 degrees doesn't do anybody favors.

























No comments:

Post a Comment